The import into the Old Reader seems to have quite the backlog, and I need to clean up my subscriptions, so I’m adding my subscriptions manually. At first I was visiting each site and looking for a feed and doing a copy and paste into the Add a Subscription box on the Old Reader but that got TIE.R.ING.
I’m lazy. So with an Google Chrome extension and a tip I found in the Old Reader itself, I found a much zippier way to do it – here’s how.
- Install the RSS Subscription Extension (by Google).
- You’ll see the orange RSS logo thinger in your address bar.
- Go to a blog and click the orange button, then select the feed you want (feed, comments, atom, etc.):
- In the “Subscribe to this feed using” drop down, select “Manage…”
- Click Add and fill out this screen. The URL field needs to say this:
- Click Save and you’ll end up back at this page. Click Subscribe Now.
Edited to add: You only need do do the first few steps once. Once it is set up and you want to subscribe to more feeds, just click the orange RSS symbol in your address bar while on the site and repeat the last step (the Subscribe Now button part.)